A SHORT HISTORY OF THE GABLES HALL MASONIC CENTRE WING ROAD LINSLADE, LEIGHTON
BUZZARD BEDFORDSHIRE BY W. Bro. E G EVANS MBE
The Gable Hall together with the names and the number of the other participating Lodges that formed the Gables Masonic Hall, Wing Road Linslade and they were The Lodge of St Barnabas 948 with Beaudesert Lodge 1087.
MEETING HELD AT THE MASONIC HALL 1ST MARCH 1934
It would appear that the purchase of the Masonic Hall at the Gables was successful and this being the inaugural meeting in the building. Once the Lodge was opened according to ancient custom and with solemn prayer the Dispensation for holding this meeting at the Masonic Hall, Linslade was read out to the Brethren. The Dispensation was granted in pursuance of Rule number 168 of the Book of Constitutions authorising the meetings to be held on March 1st and May 3rd 1934 at the Gables, Linslade, instead of the Forster Institute, Linslade. It would appear that the Province was still under the impression that the meetings were held at the Forster Institute but of course they were held in the Corn Exchange, Leighton Buzzard.
The following Notice of Motion was now moved : “Take notice that the under mentioned Brethren at the next regular Lodge meeting will move the following : St. Barnabas Lodge number 948, Beaudesert Lodge number 1087 having jointly purchased premises at the Gables, Linslade, Bucks for the purpose of a Temple, the necessary steps be taken to obtain the consent the Most Worshipful Grand Master and Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Buckinghamshire, for the permanent removal of St. Barnabas Lodge number 948 from the Assembly Room, Corn Exchange, Leighton Buzzard, Beds., Linslade, Bucks. dated 13th of February 1934. Ernest D. Pryer W.M., R.H.Perman S.W., G.O. Beavon J.W. Jas Phillips Treasurer, C.E. Collett S.D., W. H. Bardell, J.D., W.C. Gerrard I.G.,W.H. Peake, D.C., C.A. Willard P.P.S.G.W., J.H. Pearce.
After full discussion the Motion was put to the Brethren and unanimously carried.
Worshipful Bro. Willard informed the Brethren that all the available Lodge funds had been used in the purchase of the Temple, for alterations and chairs and that the Lodge had been obliged to obtain an overdraft of £200 from the bank and suggested that the Brethren should purchase a chair for £1.17.6. He estimated that £4 per member would discharge the amount of the overdraft and this could be spread over a period of three years although he hoped that as many as the Brethren that could, would pay the full amount at once and stated that a member of the Brethren had already signified their willingness to make the contribution and had also offered amounts on loan free of interest for a period of three years.
It was proposed by Worshipful Bro. Willard and seconded by Worshipful Bro. Peake that a very hearty vote of thanks be recorded to Bro. Rolls for the work time and labour which had been put in by him as Honorary Surveyor in connection with the alterations to the Temple and also to Worshipful Bro. C. E. Roberts for acting as Honorary Solicitor.”
It was proposed by Worshipful Bro. Willard and seconded by Bro. Collett that the next dinner be at the Hunt Hotel. On the proposition being put to the Brethren it was rejected by twenty votes to eighteen
MEETING HELD AT THE MASONIC HALL GABLES 3RD JANUARY 1935
The following minute appears : “ Worshipful Bro. Secretary gave a report from the General Purposes Committee as to the cost of maintenance of the Masonic Hall and how the Lodge stood financially and after discussion by several Brethren Worshipful Bro. Willard moved the following resolutions which was seconded by Worshipful Bro. Shanks : that the members subscriptions be raised from £1.11.6 to £2.2.0 and that no meeting of the Lodge be held in September but the same be held in October and that the by-Laws be amended accordingly.
The resolutions were carried unanimously.
MEETING HELD AT THE MASONIC HALL GABLES 2ND MAY 1935
Worshipful Bro. Willard proposed the following: “That the Lodge records in the minutes the appreciation by its members of the action of Grand Lodge, in presenting on behalf of the whole of the Craft, a loyal address of congratulation to His Majesty the King on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee.” This was carried unanimously.
Minutes of a special meeting held at the Masonic Hall, Linslade on Thursday 29th day of October 1936 for the purpose of the Dedication of the Hall by the Right Worshipful Bro. The Right Revd The Lord Bishop of Buckingham P.G.C. The Provincial Grand Master of Buckinghamshire assisted by the Right Worshipful Bro. The Right Honorable Earl of Courtown. P.G.W. Provincial Grand Master of Bedfordshire.
The dedication ceremony is re-produced in full: